Stir-Fried Bok Choy
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds bok choy
- 2 tablespoons peanut or other oil
- 1 (1/4-inch) piece fresh ginger, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 green onions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic , thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
Cut the bottom of each bok choy to free stems. Slice bok choy crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
Wash bok choy in several changes of cold water and dry in colander or salad spinner until dry to touch.
In wok or large sauté pan over moderately high heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add ginger, green onions, and garlic and stir-fry until aromatic, about 15 seconds.
Add bok choy, salt, sugar, and pepper and stir-fry 1 minute.
Add 1 tablespoon water, cover, and cook until wilted, about 30 seconds. Uncover, stir-fry 5 seconds, then cover again, turn off flame, and let steam in residual heat until just tender, about 30 seconds more.