Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 lb beets , trimmed but not peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 spring onions , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic (or 3 garlic scapes), finely chopped
- 2 cups short grain or arborio rice
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled soft unripened goat cheese
Wrap beets in foil in a single layer.
Place in a preheated 400 degree oven and roast for about 45 minutes or until beets are tender when pierced with a knife.
Unwrap, cool for 5 minutes and rub off peels. Dice.
Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes.
Add rice and coat with onion and oil.
Meanwhile, heat stock in a saucepan until just simmering.
Add 1 cup stock to rice. Stirring constantly, cook on medium heat until all liquid has been absorbed.
Then, still stirring, add 1/2 cup stock at a time, waiting until pan is almost try before adding next batch. It should take about 15 to 20 minutes to add all liquid. Add more liquid if necessary or stop adding liquid if rice is tender before all stock s used. Rice should be just barely tender.
Stir in beets when rice is almost tender.
Add salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with parsley and goat cheese.