Fresh Peas with Cilantro and Mint
- 1/2 lb sugar snap peas "“ stem ends trimmed and cut in half on the diagonal
- 3 cups shelled fresh peas 1 tablespoon sea salt for the blanching water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic scapes , finely chopped
- 1 large handful cilantro , chopped
- 12 large mint leaves "“ torn in 1" pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Fill a large bowl with cold water and several ice cubes.
Fill a large heavy-bottomed soup pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the salt and blanch the sweet peas for 2 minutes until tender, but still crunchy.
Drain and transfer to the ice water bath until cool. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
Repeat with the sugar snap peas.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, garlic, cilantro and mint and sauté for 2 minutes until herbs are wilted and garlic pale golden.
Add the peas toss well and sauté for an additional 1 minute until warmed through. Add the salt and pepper, toss again and remove from heat.
Transfer to a bowl.
Serve warm as a side vegetable or room temperature as an antipasto.