Butternut Squash Soup with Cider Cream
- 5 tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 lbs butternut squash , peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups chopped onion or leek
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery or celeriac
- 2 small apples , peel, cored and chopped
- 2-3 thyme sprigs
- 1 sprig sage
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider , divided
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
Melt butter in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add squash, onion, celery and carrot; sauté until slightly softened, about 15 minutes.
Rinse and strip thyme and sage from stem. Add to pot along with apples.
Add broth and 1 cup cider; bring to boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until apples are tender, stirring occasionally,
Working in batches, purée soup in blender until smooth then return to pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Boil remaining 1/2 cup cider in heavy small saucepan until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes.
Place sour cream in a small bowl. Whisk in reduced cider.
Mix whipping cream into soup.
Lade soup into bowls. Drizzle with cider cream.