Potatoes and Carrots with Seeds and Fragrant Spices
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
- 6 medium carrots (about 1 lb)
- 1 large or 3 medium potatoes
- 1/3 cup olive or safflower oil
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated gingerrot or 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves , minced or pressed
- 4 Tsp each poppy seeds , sesame seeds and coriander seeds
- 2 tsp each turmeric and cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder or paprika
- 1 to 2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups plain yoghurt
- Freshly chopped parsley or cilantro , for garnish
To prepare vegetables, top and scrape the carrots clean but do not peel. Halve lengthwise and chop.
Scrub the potatoes well, dry (do not peel), and cut into a medium dice.
Heat the oil in a large skillet with cover on medium heat. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned on the edges. Remove from the pan. Set aside.
Add the ginger, garlic, poppy, sesame, and coriander seeds to the pan and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Lower heat, and return the vegetables to the pan.
Add turmeric, cumin, chili powder or paprika, salt and boiling water. Mix gently, cover and cook over low heat until the vegetables are tender, adding additional tablespoons of boiling water, if necessary.
Stir in the yoghurt and heat, but do not boil.
Serve hot, garnished
with cilantro or parsley
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.